We, the American people, deserve better…
The ClassofHC 2016 Election Clapback podcast series was inspired by a great book I read this summer. It was also provoked by the foolishness we have all seen in our politics this year.
We don’t have to spend this last week of the presidential election campaign simply arguing back and forth about whatever new and outrageous thing the presidential candidate(s) said or did today. We really have to figure some stuff out…or at least we have try to understand the issues better.
What we DO need…are nationwide spaces for people of good will and good sense (sorry haters and trolls) to spread the word about what’s working well around the country, learn about the best ideas for addressing our nation’s problems, and understand more about how our country actually works.
The book that inspired this podcast series, Economix, by Michael Goodwin and Dan Burr:
Disclaimer: I don’t know the authors, no one is paying me to talk about their book. But if this little podcast series works, then we might need to have a meeting or something!
I think you’ll walk away with more useful questions from listening to this series (and reading the book) than you would by watching people argue on cable news.
In our final episode, we look at the most important decade to understand when thinking about this year’s election season…the 1990s.
Listen to Episode 9 (America@Great.com)
Want to know more about the clips we used in this episode?
- The Read My Lips: No New Taxes excerpt of President George H.W. Bush’s 1988 Republican National Convention Acceptance Speech
- President Bill Clinton’s 1992 presidential campaign attack ad, Second
- Hillary Clinton’s Public Service Announcement on Healthcare, March 17,1993
- President Bill Clinton’s August 22,1996 speech on the 1996 Welfare Reform law
- Excerpt of the 2005 documentary The American Ruling Class, where author Barbara Ehrenreich talks about her book, Nickel and Dimed
- Yo! MTV Raps host Fab 5 Freddy’s visit with Puff Daddy at the Bad Boy Entertainment office
- Excerpt from a 1995/96 interview with rapper Tupac Shakur and actor/comedian Bill Bellamy
- Excerpt from August 1997 interview with Donald Trump on The Late Show with David Letterman
- Excerpt from 1999 CNN Moneyline Special Report: The New Economy: Boom Without End?
- Excerpt from November 1993 White House ceremony for the signing of the Brady Bill
- Senator Bernie Sanders’ April 1994 speech in the U.S. House of Representatives about crime legislation and incarceration.
- April 2012 BBC report: LA riots: How 1992 changed the police
- May 1992 interview with Children’s Defense Fund founder Marian Wright Edelman on Charlie Rose
– Day G.
Host & Curator, Class of Hope & Change documentary