We, the American people, deserve better…
The ClassofHC 2016 Election Clapback podcast series was inspired by a great book I read this summer. It was also provoked by the foolishness we have all seen in our politics this year.
We don’t have to spend this last week of the presidential election campaign simply arguing back and forth about whatever new and outrageous thing the presidential candidate(s) said or did today. We really have to figure some stuff out…or at least we have try to understand the issues better.
What we DO need…are nationwide spaces for people of good will and good sense (sorry haters and trolls) to spread the word about what’s working well around the country, learn about the best ideas for addressing our nation’s problems, and understand more about how our country actually works.
The book that inspired this podcast series, Economix, by Michael Goodwin and Dan Burr:
Disclaimer: I don’t know the authors, no one is paying me to talk about their book. But if this little podcast series works, then we might need to have a meeting or something!
I think you’ll walk away with more useful questions from listening to this series (and reading the book) than you would by watching people argue on cable news.
Episode 8 looks at the second most important decade to understand when thinking about this year’s election season…the 1980s.
Listen to Episode 8 (When America Was High on Great)
Want to know more about the clips we used in this episode?
- Cancel Crash, a documentary on the 1987 U.S. stock market crash
- WatchMojo’s Top 10 Defining Moments of 1980s America
- CBS Evening News for Sunday, Oct 30, 1977: Cocaine / Legalization
- CBS Evening News for Wednesday, Dec 04, 1985: Cocaine / Crack
- PBS NewsHour for Jun 14, 2012: ‘We Were Here’ Revisits San Francisco’s 80’s AIDS Epidemic
- CBS News Special Report for Jan 25, 1986: The Vanishing Family – Crisis in Black America
– Day G.
Host, Class of Hope and Change podcast documentary